Pages

Labels

10.21.2009

Final Statement

As project two has come to an end I look back and reflect on the key points I have taken away from the project to use in the future for improved design. The most important feature of this project, thou just as crucial in everything, was process. One weakness I have only began to skim the surface of developing into a well rounded strength. As obvious as it sounds it still takes time to master and capture the essence of design.
I enjoyed this project from the beginning learning to communicate principles of design on a fundamental level of progression, balance, and random. Taking those simple line studies and transforming them into more complex one, and then altering the studies to produce more variations of ideas with the incorporation of those principles and the relationship of figure/ground.
Its the layers of design I begin to notice that will be a tool in the future that will continue to help me improve the quality of my work. I felt a pattern develop from project 1 to project 2 that will continue throughout. The ability to communicate an idea on a very simplistic level and continue to manipulate the work with the principles of communication as the foundation.
The photography exploration helped me to become one step closer to master my photo skills and developing an eye for photo composition. Upon exploration my theme came to me for the development of my book. I considered what it would be like for some one new to the city or living here for a long time. It seems the excitement to a newcomer is more apparent than in someone who has lived in one for some time. The fast pace life style, and having things always going on around makes an pleasurable feeling. In time though people become more focused on when and where they need to be, and forget about the world around in all its finer elements. When I explored the city and most cities for that matter I always have my head in the sky turning and looking at all the design elements in the environment. The locals usually don't even look up to enjoy the monumental aspects of a city or the amazing buildings designed around them. With that in mind I went a little north of the plaza what seemed to be a nice place to live and captured photos then moving towards the plaza capture more photos, and finally downtown for the last bit. The pictures tell a story of a normal day from home to work, and then the plaza for fun, but its with the life of lines in mind. Meaning we need to slow down and enjoy what is around us and this book was designed to help.
I think it turned out pretty good, I left the last page blank so I could add more to it in the future, I as become more developed designer, sharpen my photography skills I would like to compare how far I've come. The last things I would like to mention is how important contrast has become in my impression of design. Everything that is incorporated into design has an aspect of contrast, and the more thought out it is the better the interruption gets. It seems that the two key factors I've drawn away from this project is process and contrast.

1 comment:

  1. a nice summation of what you learned during this project.

    ReplyDelete